Welcome to The Scott County Record's website.
Rod Haxton serves as owner/editor under Buckshot Publishing to The Scott County Record.
Haxton moved from Kinsley to Scott City in 1993. At the location of 104 West Fourth he began publishing The Scott County Record on Wednesday, September 8.
This publication had 12 pages and it's first headline read, Deja Vu, Hospital Board Gears Up for Recruitment Challenge - Again.
The staff consisted of four employees, in addition to Haxton. The advertising staff consisted of Glenda Ryan and Bev Strickert; the office manager was Shirley Suppes; and assisting with news reporting was David Frederick.
The Tri-County Advocate
Haxton decided to tie the three neighboring counties of Wichita, Scott and Lane together with a FREE monthly publication that would represent their communities with news, sports and by promoting their events.
The first Advocate hit the presses on Tuesday, August 11, 1998 and had 12 pages. The idea was akin to the many shoppers on the market, however, Haxton wanted to offer more meat than advertising and bring communities together by giving them the news from their surrounding area.
The Scott County Record began it's website in November 2004. Tony Jasnoch was employed as webmaster while he lived in Texas. He moved to Scott City and completed his work on the site in 2006 when he took employment with the North Platte Telegraph in Nebraska. In 2007 The Scott County Record joined Pixel Power Haus in designing the current website. Pixel Power Haus is located in Hays, Kansas and is a division of Hays Daily News. Andrew Duscher is the current webmaster.
On June 1, 2007 The Scott County Record opened it's doors in it's new location at 406 Main St., Scott City.
As of January 2011 the average pages printed in The Scott County Record was 26 and up to 48 pages, including special sections. It has a circulation of approximately 1,900 papers. With nearly 800 papers selling off the newsstands weekly.
It has 5 additional pick up sites: Caspar Foods, Denny's Thriftway, Casey's, Presto and The Pantry.
The Tri-County Advocate averages 32 pages and is mailed to approximately 3,200 homes in the counties of Scott, Lane and Wichita. It features not only a news section but also, sports, farm and professional business directory. The Advocate is usually mailed out the first week of each month.
It has 10 additional pick up sites: Caspar Foods, El Quartelejo Inn & Suites, M&D Communications, Marz Motel, Networktronic, Inc, Revcom Electronics/RadioShack, Scott City Area Chamber of Commerce, Scott City HealthMart Pharmacy & Giftologists, Scott County Lumber and the VIP Senior Center.
The Record staff, in addition to Haxton includes: Kathy Jasnoch, advertising sales and assistant editor; Audra Winter, graphic design; Sharla Osborn, office manager; David Lundy, driver; part owner and assisting with proofreading is Boots Haxton, mother of Rod Haxton.
- SC graduates mark their legacy with plenty of bling - May. 16, 2013
- Short-handed FFA judging team wins state championship - May. 16, 2013
- Griffith wins third GWAC title - May. 16, 2013
- Unruh’s mental game will be stronger in return trip to state - May. 16, 2013
- How safe? - May. 16, 2013
- Kenneth ‘Kenny’ Nickelson - May. 16, 2013
- A real scandal exists in the IRS - May. 16, 2013
- 4-H Club News-Manning Jayhawkers - May. 9, 2013
- Wind farm talks finally seem serious - May. 9, 2013
- Cinco de Mayo - May. 9, 2013
- Nickel moves into 100m hurdle contention for regional - May. 9, 2013
- Beavers drop 12 inning marathon at Hugoton - May. 9, 2013
- USD 466 Calendar May 10-16 - May. 9, 2013
- USD 466 Lunch Menu May 13-15 - May. 9, 2013
- Elizabeth Grube - May. 9, 2013
- Boyd Tuttle - May. 9, 2013
- Charles Cox - May. 9, 2013
- Nellora E. Holstein - May. 9, 2013
- Joseph Andrew Trembley - May. 9, 2013
- Western Skyline - May. 9, 2013
- Grads: dare not to be stupid - May. 9, 2013
- Battle Canyon symposium finally a reality - May. 2, 2013
- Wells begins finding his form with javelin PR - May. 2, 2013
- Timely hitting wins opener against Colby - May. 2, 2013
- ElectroRally teams battle the elements - May. 2, 2013
- Mary Agnes Schreck - May. 2, 2013
- Father David Kraus - May. 2, 2013
- Consequences aren’t for everyone - May. 2, 2013
- Gallery gaining reputation for its world-class collection - Apr. 25, 2013
- 4x800 relay has higher goals after Holcomb win - Apr. 25, 2013
- SC may have right combination for post-season - Apr. 25, 2013
- A great way to start your dayA great way to start your day - Apr. 25, 2013
- Beverly Joyce Oliver - Apr. 25, 2013
- Wilford D. Crist - Apr. 25, 2013
- Martin James Brau - Apr. 25, 2013
- Wayne S. Bentley - Apr. 25, 2013
- Price qualifies for state; SCHS 3rd at Quinter tourney - Apr. 25, 2013
- USD 466 Lunch Menu April 29- May 3 - Apr. 25, 2013
- USD 466 Calendar April 26- May 2 - Apr. 25, 2013
- SCHS forensics students perform for High Plains Club - Apr. 25, 2013
- Gunther-Funk are engaged - Apr. 25, 2013