Arson is cause of Wendy’s fire
By Rod Haxton, editor
Investigators have determined that arson was the cause of a fire which destroyed the Wendy’s restaurant in Scott City during the early morning hours on Sept. 27.
“Suspects have been identified in this case and the investigation is still ongoing,” Kevin Doel, public information officer for the State Fire Marshal’s office, said in an e-mail.
Scott County Attorney Becky Faurot said that, as of Wednesday afternoon, no arrests have been made.
“I will be working with law enforcement to determine if, and when, there is enough evidence to file charges,” she said.
Doel noted that immediately following the fire, the State Fire Marshal’s office, the Kansas Bureau of Investigation and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives joined in the investigation. It was determined that the fire had originated in the office area and an incendiary substance was involved.
According to Doel, investigators were unable to determine how long the fire had been going before it was discovered shortly before 3:30 a.m.
“There are too many variables,” he noted.
No User Comments
Be the first to comment on this story.
News This Week
- Arson is cause of Wendy’s fire - Oct. 8, 2015
- Fire destroys Wendy’s - Oct. 2, 2015
- A new twist to a walk in the park - Sep. 24, 2015
- County to provide relief for packed recycling center - Sep. 17, 2015
- Unusual twist to ‘extraordinary’ funding - Sep. 14, 2015
- Sterling joins SCH staff as COO - Sep. 10, 2015