Searching for suspect in robbery at Heartland
By Rod Haxton, editor
The search is still on for a Hispanic male who robbed the south location of Heartland Foods in Scott City on Tues., Nov. 26.
According to Scott City Police Chief Chris Jurgens a suspect with a Garden City address, who is in his mid-20s, has been identified.
“Finney County has warrants on the man. Our warrants are still pending,” he said.
The incident occurred at 9:40 p.m., shortly before closing time, when a cashier was putting cash receipts into the safe that is located between the two doors at the main entrance.
The suspect, who was not wearing anything to conceal his identity, entered the store and “flashed a gun at the clerk” who was putting money into the safe.
“We don’t know if it was a real gun,” Jurgens said.
That didn’t prevent two female cashiers from trying to stop the individual as he tried to leave the store. One of the women was struck in the head, but she wasn’t seriously injured.
“He ran out of the store without his shoes,” says Jurgens. “The last anyone saw of him he was running down the alley behind Alco.”
One of the cashiers recognized the man who had been in the store previously with another woman that they knew. After contacting the acquaintance and providing her a description of the individual, police were able to figure out his identity.
No User Comments
Be the first to comment on this story.
Countdown to Christmas
News This Week
- Technology gets a big push with grants - Dec. 5, 2013
- Searching for suspect in robbery at Heartland - Dec. 5, 2013
- City may tackle airport hangar space - Nov. 27, 2013
- Holiday shopping at home does make a difference - Nov. 27, 2013
- Santa will be in SC Saturday - Nov. 27, 2013
- Rates double for highest water users - Nov. 21, 2013
- El Dos Sports Bar, bowling alley to reopen in Scott City - Nov. 21, 2013
- More demand on local Breadbasket - Nov. 21, 2013
- USD 466 band director rescinds resignation; still released by BOE - Nov. 16, 2013
- SCHS instructor helps adults with ESL skills - Nov. 14, 2013