Eva Onita Jay
Eva Onita Jay, 105, died Feb. 12, 2013, at the Wichita County Long Term Care, Leoti.
She was born Nov. 30, 1907, at Dalhart, Tex., the daughter of Roy
and Nellie (Fearing) Hornish.
She was a 1927 graduate of Bucklin High School and attended one year of classes at Southwestern College.
She taught school in Ford County for six years, moving to Wichita County in 1942 where she lived in the previous Lydia Post Office/Creamery. She ttended Lydia Methodist Church in rural Wichita County, serving as Sunday school superintendant until 1961, when they moved to Leoti. They continued to farm until 1972, retired and began wintering in Arizona.
She was a member of the United Methodist Church, Leoti.
On Nov. 30, 1933, she married Fred Jay at the Hornish family home in Bucklin. He died Oct. 7, 1992, at Ulysses.
Survivors include: two daughters, Beverly Zobel, and husband, Dick, Wasilla, Aka., and Bessie Young and husband, Jim, Wichita; two daughters-in-law, Lou Jay, Great Bend, and Mary Jay, Scott City; 15 grandchildren, 21 great-grandchildren and four great-great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by her parents, four brothers, two sisters and two sons, Wilbur and Max.
Funeral service will be Mon., Feb. 18, 10:30 a.m., at the United Methodist Church, Leoti, with Rev. Mike Howard officiating. Burial will be in the Leoti Cemetery.
Visitation will be Saturday from 10:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. and Sunday from 1:00-8:00 p.m. at Price and Sons Funeral Home, 202 N. 4th, Leoti, Ks. 67861.
Memorials may be sent to the United Methodist Church in care of the funeral home.
E-condolences may be given at www.priceandsons.com.
No User Comments
Be the first to comment on this story.
Obituaries This Week
- Phyllis Audell Trembley - Aug. 25, 2016
- Ray E. LaMastres - Aug. 25, 2016
- Daniel Adair Schumacher - Aug. 25, 2016
- Ruth Pearl Moore - Aug. 25, 2016
- Karl Edwin Jennison - Aug. 18, 2016
- Eunice L. Brady - Aug. 11, 2016
- Charles ‘Bob’ Walker - Aug. 11, 2016
- Connie Rene Rusbarsky - Aug. 11, 2016
- Lucille Switzer - Aug. 11, 2016
- Richard Dean Long - Aug. 11, 2016
- Betty Davis - Aug. 11, 2016
- Jim L. Adams - Aug. 4, 2016
- Ronald Dale Studley - Aug. 4, 2016
- Don Messenger - Aug. 4, 2016