Jessie Maxine (Wait) Huck
Jessie Maxine (Wait) Huck, 97, Coldwater, died March 1, 2013, at the Comanche County Hospital, Coldwater,
She was born Oct. 27, 1915, east of Protection, the daughter of John and Minnie (Sinkle) Wait.
Following graduation from Protection High School in 1934, she attended Ft. Hays State College where she received her teaching certificate.
On May 14, 1939, she married Vernon Huck from Coldwater.
They moved to the Buttermilk community, south of Coldwater, and both of them taught school. Maxine taught at the Rich, Prairie Queen and Pleasant Valley schools. They later began raising a family and farming and ranching full-time.
The family remained in the Buttermilk community and raised their family where they were active in the Antioch Methodist Church and were leaders of the Loyal Hustlers 4-H Club.
She was a member of the Protection United Methodist Church, United Methodist Women (where she held both local and conference offices), Pikeview E.H.U., P.E.O. Chapter D.M., Holmes Bible Study and several bridge clubs.
In 1960, they bought the Briggs Ranch, north of Protection, where they lived for 15 years. They later bought the Briggs house in Protection, where she resided with Vernon until his passing in 1986. She remained there until 2006, when she decided to move into the Pioneer Lodge in Coldwater.
Survivors include: three sons, Larry, and wife, Gwen, Scott City, Dr. Dennis and wife, Shirley, and Robert and wife, Sherry, all of Coldwater; one daughter, Janice Moore and husband, Bucky, Protection; two brothers, John Wait and Merle Wait; one sister, Doris Riner, Scott City; 13 grandchildren, four step-grandchildren, 27 great-grandchildren, and one great-great-grandchild.
She was preceded in death by her parents and one sister, Ruth.
Funeral service will be held Fri., March 8, 2:00 p.m., at the United Methodist Church, Protection, with Pastors Galen Huck, Dennis Carter and Doug Johnson presiding. Burial will be in the Crown Hill Cemetery, Coldwater.
Memorials may be sent to the Southern Wind Special Olympics of Kansas, Pioneer Lodge or Comanche County Hospital in care of Hatfield-Prusa Funeral Home, Box 417, Coldwater, Ks. 67029.
No User Comments
Be the first to comment on this story.
Obituaries This Week
- Ann B. Tedford - Feb. 11, 2016
- Bradley William Kogler - Feb. 11, 2016
- Strohm memorial service Feb. 13 - Feb. 11, 2016
- Dora Kelley Patton - Feb. 11, 2016
- Candelaria ‘Cande’ Murillo-Garcia - Feb. 4, 2016
- Terry L. Twedt - Feb. 4, 2016
- Barbara Maxine Patrick - Feb. 4, 2016
- June Shuler - Feb. 4, 2016
- R. Ward Clinton - Feb. 4, 2016
- James W. ‘Jim’ McDaniel - Jan. 28, 2016
- Malvin O. Wells - Jan. 28, 2016
- Richard John Kaczor - Jan. 21, 2016
- James W. ‘Jim’ McDaniel - Jan. 21, 2016
- Louise B. Schwanke - Jan. 21, 2016
- Gene L. Kidwell - Jan. 21, 2016
- Patricia Ann Nichols - Jan. 21, 2016
- Ray Lee Snyder - Jan. 21, 2016
- Jane Theresa Baker - Jan. 21, 2016