Beavers overcome 10 point deficit to nudge Eagles in OT

Story Photo

Scott City sophomore Marshall Faurot drives to the basket for a field goal during first half action at Hugoton on Friday.


Scott City sophomore Marshall Faurot drives to the basket for a field goal during first half action at Hugoton on Friday.

By Rod Haxton, editor
When Bo Hess missed the first of his two free throws with only one second remaining and the score tied 60-60 in overtime on Friday, the Scott City senior didn’t feel any added pressure.
“I wasn’t too nervous because I knew the worst thing that would happen was another overtime and we were playing pretty good,” said Hess following the league game at Hugoton. “I felt confident that I’d be able to knock it down.”
A second overtime wasn’t necessary.
Hess, who finished with 17 points, drained the second charity toss and following a desperation shot by Hugoton, the Beavers escaped with a 61-60 road win in Great West Activities Conference action.
It was the second consecutive year that the Beavers (11-8) beat the state-ranked Eagles (13-5) on their floor to salvage a split of the season series.
However, it didn’t appear that Scott City would snap its two game losing streak when they fell behind 44-34 late in the third period.
SCHS led 31-29 at halftime and opened up their biggest lead of the night following a three-point play by Hess to start the second half. Scott City’s defense kept the Eagles off the scoreboard for nearly 3-1/2 minutes before Hugoton put together a 15-0 scoring run to seemingly take control of the game, 34-24.
Junior guard Jordan Horn, who had been limited to just six points through the first three quarters, hit a pair of free throws and a trey early in the fourth quarter that cut the deficit to 46-40.
Horn, who finished with 17 points, added another trey at the 4:25 mark that brought Scott City within one, 48-47.
Both teams exchanged baskets over the next 2-1/2 minutes until senior center Kyle Cure knocked down a 12-foot baseline jumper with 1:39 remaining to give the Beavers a brief 54-53 lead.
It took just 11 seconds for Hugoton’s Zack Leininger to answer with a three-point play.
A reverse layin by Horn with :41 to play tied the game at 57-57 and Hugoton pulled the ball out on their next possession to set up the final shot. The long-range attempt caromed off the rim and the Beavers quickly raced to the other end of the floor and were about to attempt a shot from the far corner when head coach Brian Gentry finally caught up with the official only about six feet from the baseline to get a timeout that he’d been trying to call for about three seconds.
That left Scott City with 1.7 seconds in which to run a play and score the game-winner. Horn came off a screen and had a shot from the corner that glanced off the top of the rim to force overtime.
“That shot looked good and (Jordan) thought it was in,” says Gentry. “We got a pretty good look considering we had such little time to work with.”
SC Takes Lead
Hugoton had the ball to start the extra period, but Hess quickly erased that advantage when he stole the ball near midcourt and scored a layup.
Hugoton tied the game with a basket and following a Scott City turnover, Leininger was put on the line where he made one free throw to give the Eagles a 60-59 lead with 2:07 to play.
Horn tied the game with a charity toss a few moments later, after which each team missed a field goal.
Perhaps the biggest defensive play of the night was turned in by senior Drew Duff as Hugoton was once again playing for a final shot. This time they drove to the basket and Duff drew the charging call with 6.1 seconds remaining.
“That was a huge play. He’s been doing a good job of sacrificing his body, but for him to take a charge at that point in the game was tremendous,” Gentry said.
During a timeout that followed, the plan was to get the ball into Hess’s hands, with Horn as a backup. Hugoton gambled for a steal on the inbounds pass which gave Hess a clear path along the sideline. Leininger back-tapped the ball near midcourt, but Hess was able to regain control of the ball and continue driving into the paint where he split two defenders under the basket and was fouled with just :01 remaining.
Gentry wasn’t surprised that the game was decided at the free throw line.
“Once Bo got a step on the defender, you knew there was going to be a foul called at some point,” he says. “I wanted him to be aggressive and go to the basket knowing that, even if they called a charge, (Hugoton) was going to have the ball under our basket with only a second left.”

No User Comments

Be the first to comment on this story.

Sports This Week

Scott County Record
Search Stories & Photos Subscriber Log In Bookmark this site
surveys & polls
survey service
panel management
Bottom Image