Glenn sweeps judging honors; GCCC first at National Western
Skyler Glenn, Scott City, was a member of the Garden City Community College meats judging team that returned with championship honors from the 2013 National Western Intercollegiate Meats Contest in Greely, Colo.
GCCC took first place with 3,604 points in a field of college and university teams from Kansas and Texas, as well as the Australian National Team. Fort Scott Community College took second, with 3,564 points, followed by Texas-based Clarendon College, also with 3,564 points for third.
In the various competition categories, GCCC came home with first in beef judging and total beef, second in beef grading, pork judging, placing and questions, and fifth in lamb judging.
The meat judging contest on Jan. 20 followed the team’s performance Jan. 11-12 at the Southwest Invitational Meats Competition in Amarillo and Lubbock, Texas, where GCCC took second place overall to earn the reserve championship.
During the National Western, Glenn, a freshman at GCCC, was named third high individual in addition to taking first in beef judging and total beef, as well as third in beef grading.
At the Southwest Invitational, GCCC finished just 98 points behind the champion, Clarendon, with 3,614 points. Garden City also earned first in beef grading, as well as second in lamb judging, pork judging, beef judging, placings, questions and total beef.
Glenn earned fifth high overall, plus first in beef judging, second in placings, fourth in both pork judging and questions and fifth in total beef.
No User Comments
Be the first to comment on this story.
Youth This Week
- Local students named to district, KMEA choirs - Feb. 27, 2015
- Berning, Haupt qualify for IDA State Champs - Feb. 27, 2015
- County 4-H Club News Country Cousins - Feb. 19, 2015
- Scheuerman named ‘Teacher of Promise’ - Feb. 19, 2015
- McEachern on HCC honor list - Feb. 19, 2015
- 169 on SCHS semester rolls - Feb. 12, 2015
- USD 466 Lunch Menu week of February 16-20 - Feb. 12, 2015
- SCHS winter sports coronation is Friday - Feb. 5, 2015
- Beeson, Mehl on fall Dean’s list at WSU - Feb. 5, 2015
- Scheuerman earns chiropractic degree - Feb. 5, 2015
- Two named to NCK fall semester honor list - Feb. 5, 2015
- USD 466 Lunch Menu week of February 9-13 - Feb. 5, 2015