The first time around when Kansas schools made application for a share of “extraordinary needs” funding from the state, USD 466 Supt. Jamie Rumford was an interested observer.
Not the second time around.
“When I saw the formula they were using to determine how much schools with declining...
Jon Lippelmann finds himself in a rare situation just a week ahead of Scott City’s first wrestling action of the season. He has a team that will enter the Hoxie Invitational with nearly three weeks of practice. “I’m always glad to see the football team play as long as they can, but...
Scott City Middle School vocalists have been selected for area and statewide honor choirs that will be giving special performances early next year. Fifteen students were named to the Kansas Music Educators Association Southwest Honor Choir by SCMS vocal director Jodi Reese. The group, consisting...
Luella B. Erskin, 85, died Nov. 17, 2015, at Park Lane Nursing Home, Scott City. She was born on Jan. 7, 1930, in Scott City, the daughter of John and Hilda (Koch) Wiechman. Luella was a resident of Scott City from 1930 until 1954, moving to North Dakota and then back to Scott City in 1970....
Lena Rachel Farr Russell, 90, died Nov. 14, 2015, at High Plains Retirement Village, Lakin. She was born on April 30, 1925, in Logan County, the daughter of James Wiey and Ida Elizabeth (Patton) Farr. Lena was a member of the Baptist faith and a member of the Scott Community until 2006. On...
Tamie Babb and Kirk Chavez, both of Scott City, announce plans to be married on Sat., Nov. 14, at the First Baptist Church, Scott City. Tamie is a certified nurse assistant and Kirk is a certified medical assistant. Both are employed at Park Lane Nursing Home, Scott City....
Brandon Ray Younker, 23, died Nov. 4, 2015, in Ludowici, Ga. He was born on Sept. 26, 1992, in Garden City, the son of Blair Younker and Roberta “Bobbi” Dearden. Survivors include: the father, Blair Younker, Aberdeen, S.D., and Irene Younker, Denton, Tex.; mother, Roberta “Bobbi”...
Blake Allen Nickelson, 22, died Nov. 8, 2015, in rural Wichita County. He was born Feb. 17, 1993, in Lakin, the son of Michael Todd and Diane Michelle (Clymer) Nickelson. He was a 2011 graduate of Wichita County High School where he served as class president and was a participant in football, basketball...
Carole Stark, 77, died Nov. 8, 2015, at her daughter’s home in Hays. She was born on Sept. 17, 1938, in Ness County, the daughter of Sylvester and Rosie (Herman) Breit. She attended her first 11 years of school in Utica, moving with her family to Scott City in 1955 to attend Scott Community...
Judy Marie Ricke, 67, died Oct. 31, 2015, at Western Plains Medical Complex, Dodge City. She was born on March 27, 1948, at Scott City, the daughter of Joseph and Serena (Rodenberg) Schoonover. She was raised in Scott City and graduated from Scott Community High School in 1965. She attended Dodge...
‘Angels in Adoption’ sharing their love with two new family members With a busy family life that already included three children, adoption isn’t something that would seemingly be on the minds of Matt and Emily Lightner. Now it would be difficult to imagine life without...
It didn’t surprise Drake McRae that Scott City scored on its first play from scrimmage during Tuesday’s bi-district playoff game. It surprised the senior wide receiver that his number was called. “I figured that the ball would go to Cooper (Griffith) or Wyatt (Kropp) first and give...
Cross-country, says Makaela Stevens, is mental. The Scott Community High School junior showed her mental toughness when she finished as the Class 3A state runner-up and led her team to a fourth place finish at Rim Rock Farm last Saturday. “I ran a faster pace early in the race because I wanted...
Kevin Reese’s advice prior to the start of the girl’s race at Saturday’s regional cross-country meet was familiar to the Scott City girls. Run conservative in the early stages of the 3.1 mile race. Then the Scott Community High School head coach watched nervously as his squad followed...
The Scott Community High School boys knew that Hays-TMP would be their toughest competition in the Class 3A regional cross-country meet. So it wasn’t a shocker that the Monarchs nudged Scott City for the regional title - 48 to 57. All five Beavers finished within the top 23, led by Jess Drohman...
- [Sports] Experience, plus youth, bring high hopes for SC mat squad - Nov. 25, 2015
- [Youth] SCMS vocalists selected for honor choirs - Nov. 25, 2015
- [Obituaries] Charles A. Speer - Nov. 25, 2015
- [Society] High Plains shares the past; visit library tablescape displays - Nov. 25, 2015
- [Opinions] ‘It’s hard’: Voluntary reduction won’t solve Ogallala water crisis - Nov. 25, 2015
- [Opinions] Who’s the greater risk to ‘safety’? - Nov. 25, 2015
- [News] Appraisal climb to offset levy decline - Nov. 25, 2015
- [Obituaries] Luella B. Erskin - Nov. 19, 2015
- [Obituaries] Lena Rachel Farr Russell - Nov. 19, 2015
- [Opinions] Some have more to give thanks for - Nov. 19, 2015
- [News] GWMD finally has its water depletion model - Nov. 19, 2015
- [Youth] Harlow is KAEA ‘Educator of the Year’ - Nov. 12, 2015
- [Society] Babb-Chavez to wed Nov. 14 - Nov. 12, 2015
- [Obituaries] Brandon Ray Younker - Nov. 12, 2015
- [Obituaries] Blake Allen Nickelson - Nov. 12, 2015
- [Obituaries] Carole Stark - Nov. 12, 2015
- [Opinions] Sam keeps his cool with deficit - Nov. 12, 2015
- [News] Scott Co. schools get $144,000 in added funds - Nov. 12, 2015
- [Obituaries] Judy Marie Ricke - Nov. 5, 2015
- [Obituaries] Eugene D. ‘Scrubby’ Hutchins - Nov. 5, 2015
- [Sports] SC wastes no time silencing roar from Lions - Nov. 5, 2015
- [Sports] Stevens wins mental battle for a silver in 3A state - Nov. 5, 2015
- [Opinions] Selling one’s soul: Moran has put political survival above all else - Nov. 5, 2015
- [Opinions] Not our fault: State finds more excuses for declining state revenue - Nov. 5, 2015
- [Opinions] A moderator to GOP standards - Nov. 5, 2015
- [News] SC to honor, sponsor benefit for Lyons athlete - Nov. 2, 2015
- [Sports] Beavers win 7th consecutive district title - Nov. 2, 2015
- [Youth] 4-H Club News - Jayhawkers - Oct. 29, 2015
- [News] love to share - Oct. 29, 2015
- [Youth] Mulligan on Ks. All-Star judging team - Oct. 29, 2015
- [Obituaries] Grace Minette White - Oct. 29, 2015
- [Opinions] Educated voter is a scary concept - Oct. 29, 2015
- [Sports] Lady Beavers run away with regional XC title - Oct. 28, 2015
- [Sports] SCHS boys, Drohman are 2nd in regional x-country - Oct. 28, 2015