The search is still on for a Hispanic male who robbed the south location of Heartland Foods in Scott City on Tues., Nov. 26.
According to Scott City Police Chief Chris Jurgens a suspect with a Garden City address, who is in his mid-20s, has been identified.
“Finney County has warrants on the...
Evelyn Rose “Evie” Stegman, 80, died Nov. 30, 2013, at the Scott County Hospital, Scott City. Evie was born on Oct. 27, 1933, on the family homestead east and north of Marienthal, the daughter of Joseph Mathias and Veronica Elizabeth (Heile) Berning. She was later baptized by Father Cyprian...
The benefits of technology - from the classroom to the library - were on display for those attending the Scott Community Foundation’s grant open house on Monday. Students from Scott Community High School were demonstrating how they use iPads in the debate program while pre-schoolers were using...
Spencer Flight and Education Center in Scott City hosted 19 members of the High Plains Study Club on November 21. Providing a tour of the facility were SFEC board chairman Brian Vulgamore, facility director Liz Vulgamore and board vice-chairman Andy Hineman. The guests were greeted by an airline...
Melvin L. “Corkey” Kirk, 74, died Nov. 22, 2013, at his home in Scott City. He was born on Aug. 11, 1939, in Guymon, Okla., the son of Roy Roscoe and Marguerite Lillian (Fankhouser) Kirk. Corkey was a resident of Scott City since 2003, moving from Grand Prairie, Tex. He was a US Navy...
Matthew Merle Bender, 27, died Nov. 21, 2013, in Wichita. Matthew was born on Nov. 6, 1986, in Tribune, the son of Kenneth L. and Kerry (Arnold) Bender. He was a farmer and a lifetime resident of Greeley County. He was a member of St. Joseph Catholic Church, Tribune. Survivors include: his parents;...
“We had our opportunities,” said senior defensive tackle Matt Tuttle as the final minute was ticking off the game clock during Saturday’s Class 3A sub-state title game against Beloit. Five times the Beavers (11-2) had entered the red zone and they came away with just one touchdown...
If the last two rounds of the Class 3A state playoffs are an indication, opposing offenses can score points against Beloit. The question is: Can they score enough? The answer to that question will be known on Saturday night at Scott City’s Darner Field when either Scott Community High School...
Glenn H. Ford, age 94, passed away on Tuesday, November 19, 2013 at Wichita County Health Center Long Term Care in Leoti, Kansas. Glenn was born September 1, 1919 in Leoti, Kansas the son of Robert Earl & Hessie Brock Ford. A lifetime resident of Leoti, Kansas, he was a farmer,...
Brenda Jo Bremer, 44, died Nov. 17, 2013, at Park Lane Nursing Home, Scott City. She was born May 6, 1969, in Scott City, the daughter of Harold D. and Carolyn S. (Green) Wright. Brenda was a Scott City resident off and on since 1969. She graduated from Scott Community High School in 1987. She...
Alfred “Al” Joseph Wasinger, 82, died Nov. 6, 2013, in Sunsites, Ariz. He was born April 2, 1931, in Rush County, the son of Wendelin and Beata (Stremel) Wasinger. He served in the U.S. Navy from 1951-55. He was a farmer and cattleman in Scott County from 1955 until retiring to Sunsites...
A lot is said about the players on the field and what they do and don’t do in determining a team’s success. And no one can dispute the head coach’s role in a team’s success. That is certainly true of SCHS head coach Glenn O’Neil and defensive coordinator Jim Turner, but...
Scott City will have another entertainment option with the opening of El Dos Sports Bar located next door to the El Dos de Oros restaurant on south US83 Highway. In addition, Lorenzo Gutierrez, owner of the restaurant and bar, has plans to reopen the bowling alley which has been closed for more than...
After giving up a game-tying touchdown with 1:16 left in the first half, Scott Community High School was looking for an opportunity to regain the momentum. They didn’t have to wait long. In just 44 seconds the Beavers covered 78 yards for a 14-7 halftime lead and never trailed again in a 20-7...
It was perhaps the biggest test of the season for the Scott City defense. The Beavers had already kept Phillipsburg out of the end zone on three straight downs that began at the SCHS five yard line. On fourth-and-goal from the two, the Panthers decided not to attempt a game-tying field goal. Instead,...
Scott City Middle School students who participated in the Kansas Music Educators Association honor choir for Southwest Kansas at Dodge City last Saturday were (front row, from left) Abbigail Prochnow, Miles Haire and Zoey Majors. (Back row) Brayden Bollwinkel, Jordan Cramer, Daniel Nolasco, Tasha Dearden...
Seven years after moving to the United States, Lorenza Murillo began taking her first class to learn to speak English. After little more than a year in an adult English as a Second Language program, Murillo is slowly improving her language skills. “She understands English a lot better than she...
Countdown to Christmas
- [Obituaries] Evelyn Rose ‘Evie’ Stegman - Dec. 5, 2013
- [Opinions] Who has time to wait for the facts? - Dec. 5, 2013
- [News] Technology gets a big push with grants - Dec. 5, 2013
- [News] Searching for suspect in robbery at Heartland - Dec. 5, 2013
- [News] City may tackle airport hangar space - Nov. 27, 2013
- [News] Holiday shopping at home does make a difference - Nov. 27, 2013
- [Sports] X-Factor In the huddle - Nov. 27, 2013
- [Youth] Beckman to pursue studies in Finland - Nov. 27, 2013
- [Youth] School Calendar November 30-December 9 - Nov. 27, 2013
- [Youth] USD 466 Lunch Menu December 2-6 - Nov. 27, 2013
- [Society] Study club tours Spencer Flight Center - Nov. 27, 2013
- [Obituaries] Collin Michael Baptist - Nov. 27, 2013
- [Obituaries] Melvin L. ‘Corkey’ Kirk - Nov. 27, 2013
- [Obituaries] Matthew Merle Bender - Nov. 27, 2013
- [Opinions] First Thanksgiving is nearly foiled - Nov. 27, 2013
- [News] Santa will be in SC Saturday - Nov. 27, 2013
- [Sports] Beloit ends SC title run with red zone roadblock - Nov. 26, 2013
- [News] Rates double for highest water users - Nov. 21, 2013
- [Sports] Behymer, 10-man defensive front are dual challenge for Beavers - Nov. 21, 2013
- [Obituaries] Glenn Ford - Nov. 21, 2013
- [Obituaries] Annabelle Cramer - Nov. 21, 2013
- [Obituaries] Brenda Jo Bremer - Nov. 21, 2013
- [Obituaries] Alfred Joseph Wasinger - Nov. 21, 2013
- [Society] Ethan Lane Demuth, born Nov. 14, 2013 - Nov. 21, 2013
- [Society] High Plains Club gets glimpse of life at City Hall - Nov. 21, 2013
- [Sports] Defensive stand reveals heart of this SCHS squad - Nov. 21, 2013
- [News] El Dos Sports Bar, bowling alley to reopen in Scott City - Nov. 21, 2013
- [Opinions] Poster people ignored by Roberts - Nov. 21, 2013
- [News] More demand on local Breadbasket - Nov. 21, 2013
- [Sports] 99 yard drive set stage for SCHS sectional win - Nov. 17, 2013
- [News] USD 466 band director rescinds resignation; still released by BOE - Nov. 16, 2013
- [Society] David Isaac Wright, born Nov. 6, 2013 - Nov. 14, 2013
- [Opinions] Putting the blame where it belongs - Nov. 14, 2013
- [Youth] SCMS honor choir - Nov. 14, 2013
- [Youth] USD 466 Lunch Menu November 18-22 - Nov. 14, 2013
- [Youth] 4-H Club News-New Horizons - Nov. 14, 2013
- [Youth] Dighton student fifth in regional music auditions - Nov. 14, 2013
- [Youth] School Calendar November 16-25 - Nov. 14, 2013
- [Obituaries] JoAnn L. Barrows - Nov. 14, 2013
- [Obituaries] Delilah Copenhaver - Nov. 14, 2013
- [News] SCHS instructor helps adults with ESL skills - Nov. 14, 2013
- [Sports] Goal line stand preserves SC regional win over Panthers - Nov. 11, 2013