State officials remain committed to developing a long-term plan that will conserve water resources.
However, representatives with the Kansas Department of Agriculture and the Kansas Water Office realize that water issues vary across the state and that a one-size-fits-all solution isn’t going to...
Even after playing the entire 32 minutes of the state title game, the last thing a sweat-soaked Sloan Baker wanted to do was come off the court. The Scott Community High School senior was charged with emotion as he raced to the far end of the Hutchinson Sports Arena, holding up four fingers towards...
Darren and Melissa Pletcher, Sharon Springs, and Curt and Jolene Dirks, Monument, announce the engagement of their children, Heidi Pletcher and Landon Dirks. Heidi is the granddaughter of Jim and Penny Bussen, Wallace, and Donnie and Louise Pletcher, Sharon Springs. She is the great-granddaughter of...
Beverly Arlene Davis, 80, died March 14, 2015, at Medicalodge, Fort Scott. She was born on Jan. 9, 1935, at Mercy Hospital, Ft. Scott, the daughter of Kenneth Thomas and Edna (Farmer) Thomas. Beverly graduated from Fort Scott High School and lived her entire life in the Fort Scott and...
After scoring 11 points in the opening game of the Class 3A state tournament on Thursday, Trey O’Neil apologized to his father and head coach. “Trey said before the game ‘I let you down yesterday. I’ll come out today,’” said Coach Glenn O’Neil. “He came...
Beavers pull away late to avoid upset against Cards The Hutchinson Sports Arena has nearly felt like a second home to the Scott Community High School boys. They won nine straight games in the arena while bringing home consecutive Class 3A state titles from 2011-13. After a brief departure...
Trey O'Neil scored a career high 42 points and Scott City was able to pull away down the stretch for a hard-fought 67-61 win over Minneapolis in the Class 3A sub-state semi-finals on Friday evening in Beloit.The top-seeded Beavers will face Beloit in the championship game on Saturday with the winner...
Alene Nell Fisher, 96, died March 8, 2015, at Wichita County Health Center, Leoti. She was born on Aug. 30, 1918, near Ingalls, the daughter of Al- vin H. and Bertha Mae (Crick) Hewes. A resident of Wichita County since the 1930s, she was a homemaker and farm wife. Alene was a member of the United...
Lucy Boyer, 68, died Feb. 23, 2015, at St. Luke’s Hospice, Kansas City. She was born on Aug. 26, 1946, in Garden City, the daughter of Louis and Anna Lobmeyer. She graduated from St. Mary of the Plains High School, Dodge City, and Garden City Community College, majoring in journalism. She was...
Taylor Pflughoeft and Seth Scheuerman were united in marriage on Dec. 6, 2014, at Immanuel Lutheran Church, Ellsworth. Parents of the couple are Mike and Toni Pflughoeft, Ellsworth, and Randy and Cindy Scheuerman, Scott City. The bride wore a strapless, fitted empire waist dress of ivory lace and beading. Matron...
They aren’t the marquee players on a senior-laden Scott City roster, but Bo Hess and Drake McRae proved they were ready for the bright lights in a thrilling 61-60 win over Beloit in the Class 3A sub-state finals played on the Trojans' home floor Saturday evening. Hess hit a pair of clutch free...
Piper James is just like any typical 2-1/2-year-old with a younger sibling. She likes to help her sister. Sometimes she likes to help a little too much. With her little sister, Parker, learning to talk, Piper has been more than eager to speak for Parker as she tries to express herself. As a result,...
Jerome (“Jerry”) Albert Kreutzer, 95, died Feb. 6, 2015. He was born on April 5, 1919, in Liebenthal, the son of John and Amelia (Herman) Kreutz-er. He attended elementary school in Kansas and graduated from St. Fidelis Catholic High School and Seminary, Butler, Pa. After returning...
Jacey Cullop and Sam McDaniel were united in marriage on July 26, 2014, at Victory Village Chapel, Burrton, in a double-ring ceremony officiated by Rick Dewees. Parents of the couple are Jerry and Kelly Cullop, Sterling, and Tom and Pam McDaniel, Scott City. Jacey is the granddaughter of Carolyn Cul-lop,...
When you have an entire day to think about the most important match of your wrestling career, it gives you a lot of time to think. Zach Tucker had just one thing on his mind Saturday while preparing for the championship finals of the 106-pound division in the Class 3-2-1A state tournament. “Getting...
If Scott City fans were concerned - and opponents hoping - that the SCHS boys weren’t playing their best basketball heading into sub-state play, those thoughts were quickly erased on Tuesday evening. The Beavers (20-1) didn’t just defeat Russell (2-19) in the opening round of the Class 3A...
- [Sports] Inside the Huddle with the X-Factor - Mar. 26, 2015
- [Society] Easter egg hunt Sat. in Scott City - Mar. 26, 2015
- [Youth] Healy to host all-school reunion May 23-24 - Mar. 26, 2015
- [Society] High Plains members are challenged with movie trivia - Mar. 26, 2015
- [Opinions] Blame it all on the pink shirt - Mar. 26, 2015
- [News] Regional water meetings gather input for statewide plan - Mar. 26, 2015
- [Society] Committee begins plans for Whimmydiddle festival - Mar. 19, 2015
- [Society] Couple plans April 11 wedding - Mar. 19, 2015
- [Youth] USD 466 Lunch Menu week of March 23-27 - Mar. 19, 2015
- [Obituaries] Beverly Arlene Davis - Mar. 19, 2015
- [News] USD 466 to lose $136,000 in state funding - Mar. 19, 2015
- [Opinions] Showdown: Adequate funding for education not a priority - Mar. 19, 2015
- [Opinions] What is the matter with Kansas? - Mar. 19, 2015
- [Sports] Beavers overcome Collegiate press in 60-48 state title game - Mar. 16, 2015
- [Sports] O'Neil's 33 sends Beavers into title game - Mar. 13, 2015
- [Youth] USD 466 BOE okays alternate SCHS schedule - Mar. 12, 2015
- [Sports] another nail-biter - Mar. 12, 2015
- [Sports] Scott City Celebrates in Hutchinson - Mar. 12, 2015
- [Youth] 6 area students earn degrees from K-State - Mar. 12, 2015
- [Obituaries] Alene Nell Fisher - Mar. 12, 2015
- [Obituaries] Lucy Boyer - Mar. 12, 2015
- [Society] Pflughoeft-Scheuerman speak vows in Ellsworth - Mar. 12, 2015
- [News] Administrators wary of block grant funding - Mar. 12, 2015
- [Opinions] Lawmakers create own reality - Mar. 12, 2015
- [Sports] SC supporting players are clutch in sub-state title game - Mar. 8, 2015
- [Sports] O'Neil tames Lions with 42 points in sub-state semis - Mar. 7, 2015
- [Youth] Math, science academy conducting info sessions in Colby, Garden City - Mar. 6, 2015
- [Obituaries] Emily Kayte Bremenkamp - Mar. 6, 2015
- [Obituaries] Richard Leo Desbien - Mar. 6, 2015
- [Obituaries] Jerome ‘Jerry’ Albert Kreutzer - Mar. 6, 2015
- [News] Program assists parents with early childhood development - Mar. 5, 2015
- [Society] Piano students entertain High Plains Study Club - Mar. 5, 2015
- [Society] Double-ring ceremony unites Cullop-McDaniel in Lyons - Mar. 5, 2015
- [Opinions] Clueless: Tax policy gurus in GOP had no idea what to expect - Mar. 5, 2015
- [Opinions] Censorship: Ks. Legislature wants to define what’s appropriate - Mar. 5, 2015
- [Opinions] Enemy is closer than you think - Mar. 5, 2015
- [Sports] Beavers break Broncos quickly in sub-state - Mar. 4, 2015
- [Sports] Tucker wins 106-pound title; Beavers claim 5 state medals - Mar. 3, 2015