For most of his adult life, Jerry Thomas has heard discussion about the need for some type of museum or permanent structure to protect the El Cuartelejo ruins at Lake Scott State Park.
It’s a project that’s been paid substantial lip service, but no results.
So when plans were unveiled for...
WKCAC’s mobile unit success is getting attention throughout nation When the Western Kansas Child Advocacy Center began answering the need for victims of child abuse 12 years ago, they understood there would be challenges. Not the least of those is living in a rural area where their offices...
Adapt for grads not seeking 4-year degrees If Dr. Randy Watson has his way, there will come a time when high school graduation standards will make accommodations for the student who would rather pursue a vocational-technical career rather than attend a four-year university. He wants to see...
Charles Ray Whitham, 87, died April 25, 2016, at the Scott County Hospital. He was born March 21, 1929, in Liberal, the son of Ray Charles Whitham and Mabel Marie (Garvin) Whitham. Charles was a 1947 graduate of Scott Community High School and a 1952 graduate of the University of Kansas. He served...
Video parody 3rd in state conference A video parody promoting the Future Business Leaders of America has earned a Scott Community High School student a trip to the FBLA national conference. Zayra Peregrino earned third place in the digital video production competition the State Leadership Conference...
Karen Sue Metzger, 61, died Thurs, April 14, 2016, in Garden City. She was born Oct. 7, 1954, in Garden City, the daughter of Eugene “Gene” and Thelma Clarine “Toke” (Hoskinson) Heiman. Karen grew up in Garden City. She attended Garden City schools and graduated from...
Amanda Kough isn’t one to back down from a challenge. When preparing for the Class 3A Kansas Powerlifting Championships, the Scott Community High School senior had the option of competing in either the 148- or the 140-pound division. Three pounds was all she needed to cut in order to drop down...
- [Society] Study club takes Greensburg field trip - Apr. 29, 2016
- [Sports] Beware the Beavers - Apr. 29, 2016
- [News] Fundraising to kickoff soon for El Cuartelejo interpretive center - Apr. 28, 2016
- [Obituaries] Donna Louise Strong - Apr. 28, 2016
- [Obituaries] Charles Ray Whitham - Apr. 28, 2016
- [Opinions] A moral dilemma for Kansans - Apr. 28, 2016
- [News] USD should have ‘crisis’ plan for July 1 - Apr. 21, 2016
- [Youth] Peregrino qualifies for FBLA Nationals - Apr. 21, 2016
- [Obituaries] Clair Avery Rumford - Apr. 21, 2016
- [Obituaries] Schwindt memorial service Sunday - Apr. 21, 2016
- [Obituaries] Karen Sue Metzger - Apr. 21, 2016
- [Sports] SC bats come alive in win over Lancers - Apr. 21, 2016
- [Opinions] What do we value? We all pay a price for budget cuts by the state - Apr. 21, 2016
- [Opinions] Keeping it simple in Topeka - Apr. 21, 2016
- [News] Ed commissioner offers education ‘vision’ - Apr. 14, 2016
- [Opinions] No love for public education - Apr. 14, 2016
- [News] on the road - Apr. 7, 2016
- [Sports] Kough up to the challenge in record-setting state title - Apr. 7, 2016
- [Obituaries] Emma N. Nelson - Apr. 7, 2016
- [Obituaries] W. Marvin Daniels - Apr. 7, 2016
- [Obituaries] Florence M. Butt - Apr. 7, 2016
- [Obituaries] Alita L. Wells Barrows - Apr. 7, 2016
- [Opinions] Tangled up in the abortion web - Apr. 7, 2016