gaining a new perspective
Minnixes share a commitment of service to their community
When you spend 24 months recovering from major burns over 70 percent of your body it gives you a lot of time to think.
“That changed my perspective on life,” says Jim Minnix.
After getting the most wins in a single season in school history (18) and narrowly missing a trip to the state tournament, what does the Scott Community High School softball team do for an encore? “The girls know they have a really good chance of getting to state. I just have to remind them there...
Kenneth Eugene Breitkreutz, 68, died March 18, 2017, in Leoti. He was born Feb. 28, 1949, in Garden City, to Walter and Wi- nona Breitkreutz. He grew up on a farm south of Leoti and attended a rural school in Lydia. He graduated from Wichita County High School and attended Emporia University,...
No one can accuse Congressman Roger Marshall of being a slow learner. Less than two months on the job as the Big First representative, Marshall already knows that being a good Republican is far more important than holding to moral principles. He has, no doubt, been visiting with Sen. Jerry Moran who...
Marissa Lauren Petty and Lakin James Dreiling were united in marriage on March 4, 2017, at the chapel at 81 Ranch, Enid, Okla., with the reception following at the Heartland Place at 81 Ranch, with Mr. Brian Faust officiating. Parents of the bride are Billy and Jan Petty, Okarche, Okla. Grandparents...
There’s something to be said for a team that seemingly always finds itself in a close game. When you’re in those situations often enough it becomes second-nature. You don’t panic. On the other hand, there’s little opportunity for fans or coaches to relax. That, in a nutshell,...
Scott City head coach Sarah McCormick wasn’t surprised to see a seven point lead fade away during a three minute span late in the fourth quarter of Saturday’s sub-state championship game. “That’s who we are,” said McCormick, who has seen that script written all too often...
There was little doubt going into Saturday’s sub-state title game the Scott City boys would have to find some way to limit Holcomb’s success in the paint if they wanted to upset the No. 1 ranked team in Class 4A-DII. It didn’t happen. Holcomb fed the ball inside to their big men -...
Vivian M. Kreiser, 90, died March 6, 2017, at the Scott County Hospital, Scott City. She was born on Aug. 5, 1926, in Middletown, Pa., to Raymond J. and Marian (Conrad) Davies. A resident of Scott City since 2009, moving from Middletown, Pa., she was an assembly line worker for...
It’s always good to know that you can win with your leading scorer on the bench in foul trouble. Scott City head coach Brian Gentry is hoping his team won’t have to duplicate that effort on Saturday. A strong supporting cast of Beavers erased an early six point deficit and pulled away for...
Roberto Fausto Chav-ez, Sr., 68, died on Feb. 24, 2017, at St. Catherine Hospital, Garden City. Roberto was born May 22, 1948, in El Toro, Maguaichi, Chihuahua, Mexico, to Gregorio and Carmen (Hermosillo) Chavez. He was an employee for Seaboard Foods and a rancher. He had been a resident...
Kaye Don Von Schriltz, 84, died Feb. 22, 2017, at the Scott County Hospital. He was born Feb. 28, 1932, in Lane County to Donald and Vio- let (Painter) Von Schriltz. Kaye graduated from Healy High School in 1949. He earned his bachelor of science degree in agriculture with minors in political science...
- [Sports] Softball bar is set high after last season’s success - Mar. 23, 2017
- [Youth] All-School One-Act Plays - Mar. 23, 2017
- [Opinions] Coal power: Sunflower’s big victory is owed to Gov. Parkinson - Mar. 23, 2017
- [Opinions] Life is too easy for the poor - Mar. 23, 2017
- [Obituaries] Kenneth Eugene Breitkreutz - Mar. 23, 2017
- [Society] High Plains has program on Ukraine - Mar. 23, 2017
- [Society] Alpha Omega to host district meeting - Mar. 23, 2017
- [News] master farmer and homemaker - Mar. 23, 2017
- [News] City awards $313,000 in sales tax grants - Mar. 16, 2017
- [Opinions] The doc becomes a politician - Mar. 16, 2017
- [Society] Petty-Dreiling exchange wedding vows in Oklahoma on March 4 - Mar. 16, 2017
- [Obituaries] Marcia Ann Kadavy - Mar. 16, 2017
- [Obituaries] Tana Phillips - Mar. 16, 2017
- [Obituaries] Keith Albert Conine - Mar. 16, 2017
- [Sports] SCHS rally falls short in consolation finals - Mar. 16, 2017
- [Youth] Cupp wins SCMS Geography Bee - Mar. 9, 2017
- [Sports] SC no match for Holcomb’s inside game in tourney finals - Mar. 9, 2017
- [Obituaries] Anna Marie Bennett - Mar. 9, 2017
- [Obituaries] Vivian M. Kreiser - Mar. 9, 2017
- [Obituaries] Ryan Collins Altman - Mar. 9, 2017
- [Obituaries] Francis William ‘Sonny’ Miller - Mar. 9, 2017
- [Society] Internet security is club program - Mar. 9, 2017
- [Opinions] Surprising silence on court ruling - Mar. 9, 2017
- [News] Hineman: no choice but to adopt one-time budget fix - Mar. 9, 2017
- [Sports] Lady Beavers make history with sub-state hoops title - Mar. 6, 2017
- [Sports] Beavers survive shaky start in sub-state opener - Mar. 2, 2017
- [Obituaries] Anna Marie Bennett - Mar. 2, 2017
- [Obituaries] Jeanette von Khaelssberg - Mar. 2, 2017
- [Obituaries] Francis W. ‘Sonny’ Miller - Mar. 2, 2017
- [Obituaries] Roberto Fausto Chavez, Sr. - Mar. 2, 2017
- [Obituaries] Kaye Don Von Schriltz - Mar. 2, 2017
- [Opinions] Legislative tornado hits Kansas - Mar. 2, 2017
- [Society] Extension program helps seniors ‘embrace aging’ - Mar. 2, 2017
- [News] GMD offering tech cost-share - Mar. 2, 2017