The Scott City Learning Center has long been an option for those seeking a non-traditional path toward getting a diploma from Scott Community High School.
However, the center in Scott City, along with another 16 across the area which are served by the Southwest Plains Regional Service Center, are scrambling...
Just six games into the season, the Scott Community High School softball team finds itself in uncharted territory. They don’t have a losing record. At 3-3, they don’t have a winning record either, but when you’ve been part of a program that has finished above .500 just once in its...
Georgie Louise Bever, 86, died April 11, 2015, at the Wichita County Health Center Long Term Care, Leoti. She was born on Feb. 18, 1929, in Garden City, the daughter of George and Vivian (Reid) Fahrenholtz. Georgie was a Scott City resident from 1948-91, then moving to Garden City until retiring...
Peter Nguyen was checking the brake connections on one of Scott City’s electric car entries as instructor Chuck Ellis leaned over the vehicle to observe his work. “The brake light is working,” reaffirmed Ellis. Meanwhile, Daniel Varela was preparing metal plates that would be attached...
Mario and Rhonda Vallejo, Scott City, announce the engagement of their daughter, Nickole, Lawrence, to Aydan Kinney, Lawrence. Aydan is the son of Orlando and Rolanda Kinney, Garden City. The bride-to-be is employed by the Corporate World Headquarters of Payless Shoesource in the buying/merchandising...
Baseball isn’t that complicated, says Scott Community High School head coach Neil Baker. “Hit the ball and force the defense to make a play,” he preaches. The congregation followed that sermon at Goodland last Thursday with an 8-4 win in Great West Activities Conference play. The...
Versatility is a point of emphasis for members of the Scott Community High School tennis squad. “We like to give the boys experience in singles and doubles,” says head coach Steve Kucharik. “They never know when they’ll be asked to fill in for someone.” Corbin Janssen...
Roger and Jan Winter, Scott City, and Rusty and Pam Lindsay, Scott City, announce the engagement of their children, Audra Lynn and Bradley Martin. Audra is the granddaughter of Gene Hess, Scott City, and the late Harriet Hess, and Harold and Neoma Winter. Bradley is the grandson of Chuck and Eunice...
Jennifer Mosier and Layton Ehmke were married on October 4, 2014, at the home of Dr. John Mosier in Herington, Ks., in a double-ring ceremony officiated by pastor Bill Peterson. The bride is the daughter of Dr. Kevin and Jen Mosier, Parsons, and the granddaughter of Dr. Richard and Norma Mosier, Herington,...
Motorcyclists have long shown their support for military veterans through such organizations as the Patriot Guard which can often be seen accompanying funeral processions. Reggie Ford, however, was looking for another way to not only honor veterans who had died, but to help those who are living. Vets...
State officials remain committed to developing a long-term plan that will conserve water resources. However, representatives with the Kansas Department of Agriculture and the Kansas Water Office realize that water issues vary across the state and that a one-size-fits-all solution isn’t going to...
The state tournament is becoming familiar territory for Jarron Gregory. So are state championships. A member of the Scott City Takedown Kids Wrestling Club, Gregory returned from the state tournament in Topeka this weekend with a championship trophy in the 9-10-year-old, 150-pound division. This was...
As a two-time state qualifier, Payden Shapland knows what it means to be among the top distance runners in Class 1A. Just being one of the best isn’t good enough this season for the Dighton High School junior. “Her goal is to get onto the podium at the state meet,” says head coach...
- [Sports] Confidence grows with strong start to SC season - Apr. 16, 2015
- [Obituaries] Georgie Louise Bever - Apr. 16, 2015
- [Obituaries] Mary Frances Emberton - Apr. 16, 2015
- [News] SC crew getting charged up for another ElectroRally season - Apr. 16, 2015
- [News] Housing project is on the table - Apr. 16, 2015
- [Society] Vallejo-Kinney to wed June 13 - Apr. 16, 2015
- [Opinions] Estate tax: GOP’s familiar rhetoric built on illusion, not fact - Apr. 16, 2015
- [Opinions] Keeping the poor in their place - Apr. 16, 2015
- [Sports] Beavers take opener from Cowboys before storm strikes - Apr. 9, 2015
- [Sports] Janssen is singles, doubles medalist; Beavers are first at WaKeeney quad - Apr. 9, 2015
- [Youth] USD 466 menu April 13-17 - Apr. 9, 2015
- [Society] Ella Marie Dressman, born Nov. 17, 2014 - Apr. 9, 2015
- [Society] Couple is planning July wedding - Apr. 9, 2015
- [Society] Mosier-Ehmke are united in double-ring ceremony - Apr. 9, 2015
- [Obituaries] Edmund Gary Berndt - Apr. 9, 2015
- [Obituaries] Marc R. Kessler - Apr. 9, 2015
- [News] Going the extra distance for fellow vets - Apr. 9, 2015
- [News] Community centers sort through questions regarding state funding - Apr. 9, 2015
- [Opinions] Water crisis: What’s the rush? - Apr. 9, 2015
- [News] Gregory is state champion; Frank claims second place - Apr. 2, 2015
- [Sports] No mercy by TMP in sweep of Beavers - Apr. 2, 2015
- [Sports] Shapland, Cramer win golds at Tribune - Apr. 2, 2015
- [Obituaries] Etta Fern Ashcraft - Apr. 2, 2015
- [Obituaries] Erma Mae House - Apr. 2, 2015
- [News] Abatements are taking a big bite out of revenue - Apr. 2, 2015
- [Opinions] No checks: Lawmakers seek to end system of checks, balances - Apr. 2, 2015
- [Opinions] Out of sight: Gov, lawmakers prefer being behind closed doors - Apr. 2, 2015
- [Opinions] Governance by gut feelings - Apr. 2, 2015
- [News] Regional water meetings gather input for statewide plan - Mar. 26, 2015
- [Sports] Inside the Huddle with the X-Factor - Mar. 26, 2015
- [Society] Easter egg hunt Sat. in Scott City - Mar. 26, 2015
- [Youth] Healy to host all-school reunion May 23-24 - Mar. 26, 2015
- [Society] High Plains members are challenged with movie trivia - Mar. 26, 2015
- [Opinions] Blame it all on the pink shirt - Mar. 26, 2015