With the Maple Street housing development nearly complete, the Scott County Development Committee (SCDC) is looking to expand housing in the Eastridge Addition.
The SCDC has approached the Scott City Council to determine its support for a moderate income housing (MIH) grant that would assist in the...
Unusual regimen is a test of mental toughness Building strength and power are always a goal of the summer weight program. But, the Scott Community High School coaching staff was looking for a little different approach to achieving those objectives. When athletes went to the track during July for...
Human link eludes team in what may be final dig The mystery behind the death of a mammoth in northeast Scott County will likely remain that way. The 14,000-year-old “cold case” is unsolved following what will likely be the University of Kansas Odyssey program’s final...
Trailing by three strokes with 16 holes remaining, the team of Tyler Hess, John Hess, Justin Miller and Justin Unruh played the remainder of Sunday’s round 15-under-par to win the Scott City Four-Ball Tournament. The Hess team went on a scoring binge during that 16 hole stretch with 13 birdies...
A promising start didn’t last for the Scott City Benchwarmers in a wooden bat tournament played in Hutchinson last weekend. After opening tournament play with a 2-0 win over Bottom of the Ninth, Scott City dropped their next three games to the Newton Nights (14-6), Butler County (10-1) and the...
Karen M. Piper, 54, died July 8, 2016, at the Greeley County Hospital, Tribune. She was born Dec. 7, 1961, in Tribune, the daughter of Francis and Violet Schenck Graham. She was a lifetime resident of Horace and was the city clerk of Horace. She also worked for the Greeley County Repulican...
Norma Thomas, 83, died July 7, 2016, at the Scott County Hospital, Scott City. She was born Jan. 28, 1933, in Liberal, the daughter of Frank S. and Lena M. (Brown) Sperling. She was a member of the FCE and the First United Methodist Church, Garden City. Norma was a homemaker. On Aug. 20, 1950, she...
Don L. Taylor, 85, died July 9, 2016, at Park Lane Nursing Home, Scott City. He was born Oct. 14, 1930, in Fort Scott, the son of Frank H. and Fannie T. (Comstock) Taylor. A resident of Scott City since 1958, moving from Leoti, he was a retired line superintendent for Wheatland Electric for over 34...
Albert Dean, 98, died July 7, 2016, at the Scott County Hospital, Scott City. He was born on Oct. 9, 1917, in Rush County, the son of William W. and Bessie Naomi (Brewer) Dean. A resident of Scott City since 1932, moving from Rush County, he was a farmer. Albert was a member of the First Baptist...
Gene H. West, 54, died June 28, 2016, in Garden City. He was born Dec. 24, 1961, in Scott City, the son of Jack H. and Elizabeth J. (Kerkhoff) West. Gene grew up in Scott City and graduated in 1980 from Scott Community High School. He lived in several places before moving to Garden City and in 1993...
Scott and Crystal Hoffman, Dighton, announce the engagement and approaching marriage of their daughter, Shelby, to Logan Long, Dighton. Logan is the son of Jana and Jeff Nixon, Sedona, Ariz., and Raymond Long, Modoc. Shelby is currently employed at Diamond View Estates Assisted Living and...
The Lady Stars put their signature on the individual medley during their recent Scott City swim meet. They swept golds in three age divisions in the 200 yard medley and added two silvers. In addition, they collected another runner-up finish in the 100 yard individual medley. Clare Hawkins (11-12 years)...
Jason and Nichole Baker, Scott City, annouce the birth of their daughter, Paisley Rose Baker, born May 9, 2016. She weighed 8 pounds and was 21 inches long. Paisley was welcomed home by her big sister, Chloe. Maternal grandparents are Mike and Christy Marcy, Leoti. Paternal grandparents are Sonia...
- [Sports] overcoming the biggest obstacle - Jul. 28, 2016
- [News] mammoth remains a mystery - Jul. 28, 2016
- [Opinions] Time for change: Kansans must regain power at the ballot box - Jul. 28, 2016
- [Opinions] Tax lid: Legislative overreach has unintended consequences - Jul. 28, 2016
- [Opinions] Taylor a clear choice in 33rd District - Jul. 28, 2016
- [Sports] Hess team erases 3 stroke deficit to win 4-ball scramble - Jul. 21, 2016
- [Opinions] No surprise: State funding has created dilemma in hiring teachers - Jul. 21, 2016
- [Opinions] Secrets in the 33rd Senate race - Jul. 21, 2016
- [News] City considers grant for Eastridge development - Jul. 21, 2016
- [Sports] Benchwarmers claim first round win in tourney - Jul. 15, 2016
- [Youth] College Honors July 14, 2016 - Jul. 15, 2016
- [News] Scott Co. braces for possible budget cuts - Jul. 14, 2016
- [Society] Baylee Faith Miller, born May 10, 2016 - Jul. 14, 2016
- [Society] McClure to celebrate 90th birthday - Jul. 14, 2016
- [Obituaries] Marilyn J. Speer - Jul. 14, 2016
- [Obituaries] Karen M. Piper - Jul. 14, 2016
- [Obituaries] Norma Thomas - Jul. 14, 2016
- [Obituaries] Don L. Taylor - Jul. 14, 2016
- [Obituaries] Albert Dean - Jul. 14, 2016
- [Obituaries] Gene H. West - Jul. 14, 2016
- [Opinions] Put AT&T on hold: First priority is to ensure structural integrity of tower - Jul. 14, 2016
- [Opinions] Ignorance no longer an excuse - Jul. 14, 2016
- [Opinions] K96 plans: KDOT should explain logic behind eliminating 2 lanes - Jul. 14, 2016
- [News] KDOT plans to convert K96 into 2 lanes - Jul. 7, 2016
- [Opinions] Trump a result of GOP marketing - Jul. 7, 2016
- [Society] Couple plans Sept. 17 wedding - Jul. 7, 2016
- [Youth] College Honors - Jul. 7, 2016
- [Sports] Lady Stars own the individual medley in their home invitational - Jul. 7, 2016
- [Society] Paisley Rose Baker, born May 9, 2016 - Jul. 7, 2016
- [Opinions] More of the same: Revenue shortfalls still creating a fiscal disaster - Jul. 7, 2016
- [Opinions] Learn the facts: Kansas voters can’t afford to be fooled again - Jul. 7, 2016