When you have an entire day to think about the most important match of your wrestling career, it gives you a lot of time to think.
Zach Tucker had just one thing on his mind Saturday while preparing for the championship finals of the 106-pound division in the Class 3-2-1A state tournament.
If Scott City fans were concerned - and opponents hoping - that the SCHS boys weren’t playing their best basketball heading into sub-state play, those thoughts were quickly erased on Tuesday evening. The Beavers (20-1) didn’t just defeat Russell (2-19) in the opening round of the Class 3A...
Angela Sue Simpson, 40, died Jan. 28, 2015, at the Scott County Hospital, Scott City. She was born on July 22, 1974, in Syracuse, the daughter of Roger and Kay (Lindner) Potter. Angela was a member of the First Baptist Church, Scott City. On Nov. 23, 1996, she married Curtis Simpson in Syracuse....
Alice Gwen McKinney Robertson, 76, died Feb. 9, 2015, at the Greeley County Hospital, Tribune. She was born on Aug. 9, 1938, in Ashland, the daughter of Charles Donald and Vivian Marie (Lowry) McKinney. She grew up on a ranch in Meade County and attended high school at Englewood, graduating in 1956....
Willis Olen Crowley, 86, died Feb. 10, 2015, at the Wichita County Health Center LTCU, Leoti. He was born on Dec. 22, 1928, at Pagosa Springs, Colo., the son of Asher J. and Myrtle Emma (Putnam) Crowley. A resident of Wichita County since 1957, moving from Greeley, Colo., he was a cowboy and...
James Faye “Jim” Cooley, 79, died Feb. 24, 2015, at the Scott County Hospital, Scott City. He was born on Oct. 11, 1935, in Ness City, the son of Clifford Earl and Eva Ella (Churchill) Cooley. A lifetime resident of Healy, he was a retired truck driver and a US Air Force veteran of the...
Frances Marie Thurston, 98, died Feb. 21, 2015, at the Wichita County Health Center LTCU, Leoti. She was born on Jan. 7, 1917, at Tribune, the daughter of Harold and Marjorie (Hoopes) Smith. A lifetime resident of Western Kansas, she was a homemaker and a retired Avon representative for over 32 years. Frances...
Gary and Julie Miller, Scott City, announce the engagement of their son, Justin Thomas, Kansas City, Mo., to Jill Marie Kuckelman, Kansas City, Mo., daughter of Jerry and Linda Kuckelman, Manhattan. The bride-to-be is the granddaughter of Richard and Linda Haverkamp and Kathleen Kuckelman, all of Seneca,...
During this past season, James Jurgens had already established that he’s one of the top wrestlers in the 138-pound division. Just being one of the best wasn’t enough for the Scott Community High School senior. He has his sights set on being the best and the two-time state finalist didn’t...
Bo knows basketball and on Tuesday evening Bo showed he knows how to score. Scott Community High School sophomore Bo Hess poured in a career high 16 points and the Beavers (17-1) knocked off previously undefeated Holcomb, 75-64, in a battle of No. 1 ranked teams - Scott City in Class 3A and Holcomb...
SC’s Lippelmann joins rare company At the conclusion of his 7-4 win against Ulysses, Scott City heavyweight Lane Hayes raised each of his hands and held up three fingers as he turned to Scott City fans in the upper section at the Hugoton High School gymnasium. The raised fingers had nothing...
During the past week we’ve been hearing from proponents of the national sales tax. They take issue with our assumption that a 23 percent sales tax will mean a 23 percent increase in the cost of goods and services. That’s not how it works, they howl. To suggest such a thing means we’ve...
Lois Bryant will celebrate her 94th birthday with an open house reception hosted by her family on Sun., Feb. 22. The reception will be from 2:00-4:30 p.m. at the VIP Center, 302 Church St., Scott City. Lois was born Feb. 17, 1921, in Dighton, the daughter of Virgil and Zuma (Dodge) Sharp. On Nov....
Celine Therese Wimmer, 87, died Feb. 6, 2015, at the Wichita County Health Center, Leoti. She was born on Oct. 8, 1927, on the Baker family homestead near Marien- thal, the daughter of Anton and Caecelia (Baier) Baker. A lifetime resident of Marienthal, she was a farm wife, homemaker and mother. Celine...
MaryAnn Claire Winter, 91, died Feb. 6, 2015, at the Wichita County Health Center Long Term Care, Leoti. She was born on Aug. 13, 1923, on the Baker family homestead near Marienthal, the daughter of Anton and Caecilia (Baier) Baker. A graduate of Wichita County High School in 1941, she began her working...
Two quick baskets by Sloan Baker, including a jam to start the game, had Scott Community High School fans anticipating an early blowout over Hugoton on the home floor Friday night. Instead, the Beavers were locked in a tight battle with Hugoton throughout most of the night before a 20-7 scoring blitz...
Griffith third, Eitel sixth against tough Rocky Welton field It had been a tough two week stretch for James Jurgens heading into the always tough Rocky Welton Invitational. The Scott Community High School 138-pounder had dropped a pair of matches for a fourth place finish in the Scott City...
Scott Community High School winter Homecoming activities will be held Fri., Feb. 6, when the Beavers host Hugoton High School. Crowning ceremony will take place during halftime of the boy’s basketball game. Queen candidates are Emily Buxton, daughter of Jerry and Jynette Buxton; Macy Davis, daughter...
Phyllis Ann Long, 71, died Jan. 28, 2015, at the Scott County Hospital, Scott City. She was born on May 29, 1943, in Garden City, the daughter of Gene and Mad- elene (Gish) Holloway. A resident of the Scott City community since moving from Hays in 1967, she was a secretary for Blick’s, Inc.,...
Williams transforms her family’s holiday treat into a thriving business Tonja Williams has great memories of family gatherings during the holidays - particularly of the cookies, fudge and toffee that her mother would cook. “Everything was so good, but the toffee was always my favorite,”...
- [Sports] Beavers break Broncos quickly in sub-state - Mar. 4, 2015
- [Sports] Tucker wins 106-pound title; Beavers claim 5 state medals - Mar. 3, 2015
- [Youth] Local students named to district, KMEA choirs - Feb. 27, 2015
- [Youth] Berning, Haupt qualify for IDA State Champs - Feb. 27, 2015
- [Obituaries] Violet I. Kerr - Feb. 27, 2015
- [Obituaries] James Faye ‘Jim’ Cooley - Feb. 27, 2015
- [Obituaries] Frances Marie Thurston - Feb. 27, 2015
- [Obituaries] Jay Roger Muench - Feb. 27, 2015
- [Opinions] Conservation: City’s effort has little impact on the Ogallala - Feb. 27, 2015
- [Society] Kuckelman-Miller are engaged - Feb. 27, 2015
- [News] USD hopes to take bite out of utility costs - Feb. 27, 2015
- [Opinions] Dominoes: Add PAT, farm machinery to list of tax casualties - Feb. 26, 2015
- [Opinions] Does Brownback love Kansas? - Feb. 26, 2015
- [Sports] 6 SC grapplers are statebound; Jurgens makes late move to 145 - Feb. 24, 2015
- [News] Ag land is in state valuation crosshairs - Feb. 19, 2015
- [Obituaries] Willis Olen Crowley - Feb. 19, 2015
- [Sports] Road to state won’t be easy for SC grapplers - Feb. 19, 2015
- [Youth] County 4-H Club News Country Cousins - Feb. 19, 2015
- [Youth] Scheuerman named ‘Teacher of Promise’ - Feb. 19, 2015
- [Youth] McEachern on HCC honor list - Feb. 19, 2015
- [Society] Sorority assists with Cramer benefit - Feb. 19, 2015
- [Opinions] Not so golden: KFB was silent when a strong voice was needed - Feb. 19, 2015
- [Opinions] A growing level of intolerance - Feb. 19, 2015
- [News] State’s broken promise leaves funding gap - Feb. 19, 2015
- [Sports] Beavers end Longhorns’ quest for perfection - Feb. 18, 2015
- [Obituaries] Alice Gwen McKinney Robertson - Feb. 12, 2015
- [News] School districts bracing for budget cut - Feb. 12, 2015
- [Sports] 300 Club - Feb. 12, 2015
- [News] SC couple shares hope, knowledge about cancer - Feb. 12, 2015
- [Society] Study club learns of history behind Thomas collection - Feb. 12, 2015
- [Society] Open house to honor Bryant on 94th birthday - Feb. 12, 2015
- [Youth] 169 on SCHS semester rolls - Feb. 12, 2015
- [Youth] USD 466 Lunch Menu week of February 16-20 - Feb. 12, 2015
- [Obituaries] Jacquelin Susan Wendler - Feb. 12, 2015
- [Obituaries] Celine Therese Wimmer - Feb. 12, 2015
- [Obituaries] MaryAnn Claire Winter - Feb. 12, 2015
- [Opinions] Honesty: Higher standard doesn’t apply to Fox News, Kobach - Feb. 12, 2015
- [Opinions] Budget cuts: Picking up the pieces of our ‘real live experiment’ - Feb. 12, 2015
- [Opinions] Partisan politics is in demand - Feb. 12, 2015
- [Opinions] Living in a national sales tax fantasy land - Feb. 10, 2015
- [Sports] Beavers overcome cold shooting, Baker on bench - Feb. 10, 2015
- [Obituaries] Angela Sue Simpson - Feb. 5, 2015
- [Sports] Stronger finish keys success for Jurgens - Feb. 5, 2015
- [Youth] SCHS winter sports coronation is Friday - Feb. 5, 2015
- [Youth] Beeson, Mehl on fall Dean’s list at WSU - Feb. 5, 2015
- [Youth] Scheuerman earns chiropractic degree - Feb. 5, 2015
- [Youth] Two named to NCK fall semester honor list - Feb. 5, 2015
- [Youth] USD 466 Lunch Menu week of February 9-13 - Feb. 5, 2015
- [Obituaries] Phyllis Ann Long - Feb. 5, 2015
- [Sports] Beavers prepare for big stretch run - Feb. 5, 2015
- [News] tasty memories - Feb. 5, 2015
- [Opinions] In denial: GOP response to state’s fiscal crisis is disturbing - Feb. 5, 2015
- [Opinions] A disaster: Fair Tax Act meant to appease anti-IRS faction - Feb. 5, 2015
- [Opinions] A responsibility to the truth - Feb. 5, 2015
- [News] USD 466 could lose $136,000 under Senate proposal - Feb. 5, 2015