$600K on chopping
block in 2014-15;
staff cuts coming
If spending cuts for public education at the state level have been a headache for the Scott County school district (USD 466), then prepare for a migraine.
The district will need to fill a budget gap of about $500,000...
Four members of the Scott City Takedown Wrestling Club had a chance to compete against some of the nation’s best when they traveled to Iowa for dual tournament action last weekend. Kale Wheeler and Kaden Wren took part in the USA Elementary National Duals held at Council Bluffs, Ia., while Wyatt...
After scoring the game-tying run in the top of the seventh inning, Scott Community High School gave up a walk-off single in the bottom half of the inning to complete a double-header loss at Holcomb in Great West Activities Conference play on Friday. Even with their third double-header sweep of the...
Roberts gives up campaigning for classroom time at SC Elementary ______________________ Students in Matt Fox’s fourth grade class learned about the U.S. Constitution Thursday morning . . . and that Sen. Pat Roberts had never played basketball with President Barack Obama. Roberts,...
Mr. and Mrs. Robert Winderlin, Scott City, will celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary on April 25. Robert Winderlin and Judy Shuler were married April 25, 1964, at Scott City. The couple has four children: Lisa Harvey, Blair, Nebr., Teressa Walker, Colorado Springs, Colo., Debbie Hickman, Benton,...
Rachel Louise Dryer, 97, died April 7, 2014, at the Scott County Hospital, Scott City. She was born on Aug. 23, 1916, in Madison, the daughter of Wil- liam Aaron and Carmen Grace (Focht) Boles. Louise grew up in Madison and Emporia, attending Emporia State University. On May 23, 1936, she married...
Tommy David Fry, 69, died April 13, 2014. He was born on March 1, 1945, in St. Paul, Minn., the son of Ivan and Frances Fry. He served in the U.S. Army, 82nd Airborne, for four years during the Vietnam War. Tommy was a retired Texas Highway Department of Transportation employee. Survivors include...
Quest for perfection, slice of history, eludes Baker, Shockers Among the many Wichita State University fans and the growing tide of followers, this will go down as one of the greatest seasons in college basketball. For the skeptics, maybe it will take a little longer to acknowledge that ....
The Scott Community High School boys had three finishers within the top six - two in the heavyweight division - at the Class 3A State Powerlifting Championships last Saturday. Senior Cole Birney claimed a second place finish in the power division (242-pounds and over) with a total of 1,130 pounds from...
Wycoff sweeps sprints; Nickel wins 100m HH at Ulysses Inv. Sweeping gold medals in all of the sprints, one could say that Kelly Wycoff appeared to already be in mid-season form at the Ulysses Invitational last Friday. The Scott Community High School senior had a dominating day in the 100m (12.93),...
Donnie R. Geist, 66, died March 21, 2014, at the Scott County Hospital, Scott City. He was born on Sept. 19, 1947, in Garden City, the son of Leland “Hap” Clarence and Lelia Louise (Wade) Geist. A lifetime resident of Scott City, he retired from Wheatland Electric Cooperative in...
Patricia A. Palen, 82, died March 29, 2014, at Park Lane Nursing Home, Scott City. She was born July 11, 1931, in Leoti, the daughter of Arthur L. and Genevieve E. (Manning) Gribben. A resident of Scott City since 1953, moving from Leoti, she was a nurse. She was a member of St. Joseph Catholic Church,...
Despite the housing shortage in Scott City, local contractor Clayton Lee knew he was taking a gamble when he decided to build a spec home in the Eastridge Addition. That risk was compounded as the price tag climbed closer to $220,000. Lee’s gamble paid off Tuesday evening when the contract was...
Nolan earns degrees from MIT, Cambridge Rane Nolan had no doubt that his college education would take him places. He didn’t realize after walking off the graduation stage at Scott Community High School that eight years later he would be graduating from within the hallowed halls of Cambridge...
Erin Marli Beck and Levi Erik Kuntzsch announce their engagement and forthcoming marriage. Erin is the daughter of Grant and Noelle Beck, Leawood. She is a 2009 graduate of Blue Valley North High School, Overland Park. Erin attended Pittsburg State University for two years and will graduate from Baker...
The family of Emogene Harp, Scott City, will honor her with a card shower for her 80th birthday. She was born on April 16, 1934, in Wichita County. Family members celebrating the occasion with her include: her husband of 62 years, Otto Harp; son, Richard Harp, and wife, Alicia, Garden City; daughter,...
Jerry and Kelly Cullop, Sterling, and Tom and Pam McDaniel, Scott City, announce the engagement of their children, Jacey Cullop and Sam McDaniel. Grandmother of the bride-to-be is Carolyn Cullop, Sterling. Grand-parents of the prospective groom are Robert and Irma McDaniel, Scott City, and Lowell and...
Mr. and Mrs. James Krehbiel, Scott City, will celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary on April 11. James Krehbiel and Sarah Genelle Mohler were married on April 11, 1964, at McPherson. The couple has four sons: Douglas, Canon City, Colo., Steven and wife, Vicki, Holcomb, Dean and wife, Jennifer, Marquette,...
Vera Mae Buckbee, 84, died March 31, 2014, at the Harry Hynes Memorial Hospice Via Christie, Wichita. She was born Oct. 22, 1929, in Scott County, the daughter of Edward and Pauline (Burr) Schmitt. Vera was raised by her grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Gottlieb Burr, and was a resident of Scott City until...
Challenger says Congressman is not working toward solutions Jim Sherow isn’t sure when the ability to compromise became a liability for politicians elected to the Kansas Legislature or the Congress. But he’s quick to point out that everyone pays the price when lawmakers are unwilling...
Jim and Eilene Minnix and Kevin and Brenda Davis, all of Scott City, announce the engagement of their children, Kathryn Gayle Minnix and Christopher James Davis. Grandparents of the couple include the late Berl and Wanda Minnix; Bill and Kathy Schieferecke, Studley, Ks.; Beverly Davis, Fort Scott, and...
Lanny DeWayne Mehl, 73, died, March 19, 2014, in East Aurora, N.Y. He was born July 11, 1940, at Offerle, the son of Reinhart Earnest and Pearl Elizabeth (Hall) Mehl. Lanny was a farmer and had been a resident of Leoti since 1972, moving from Mesa, Ariz., where he served in the Federal Bureau...
Young SCHS squad hosts TMP Tuesday After putting a seasoned squad on the field the last couple of years this will be a dramatically different spring for the Scott Community High School baseball team. Of the 20 team members, 13 are freshmen. There are just two seniors and only Keigun Wells,...
- [Sports] 4 SC matmen compete in dual nationals - Apr. 17, 2014
- [Sports] Beavers rally in 7th, but still fall to Horns, 4-3 - Apr. 17, 2014
- [News] stepping off the trail - Apr. 17, 2014
- [Society] Winderlins to observe 50th anniversary - Apr. 17, 2014
- [Society] Study Club tours Sternberg Museum - Apr. 17, 2014
- [Opinions] Look at the facts: Give Sebelius credit for the Obamacare success - Apr. 17, 2014
- [Opinions] Showdown: This time city can show it’s serious about junk - Apr. 17, 2014
- [Opinions] When we become the ‘other guy’ - Apr. 17, 2014
- [Obituaries] Greg Alan Skibbe - Apr. 17, 2014
- [Obituaries] Marjorie A. Riggs - Apr. 17, 2014
- [Obituaries] Kendall Lee Hornback - Apr. 17, 2014
- [Obituaries] Wilson Eugene ‘Bud’ Berry - Apr. 17, 2014
- [Obituaries] Reba R. Hearson - Apr. 17, 2014
- [Obituaries] Rachel Louise Dryer - Apr. 17, 2014
- [Obituaries] Tommy David Fry - Apr. 17, 2014
- [News] $1 million shortfall faces USD - Apr. 17, 2014
- [News] Area schools gain little in funding - Apr. 10, 2014
- [Sports] off to the races - Apr. 10, 2014
- [Obituaries] Dixie L. Neuenschwander - Apr. 10, 2014
- [Society] Sorority hears update on WKCAC - Apr. 10, 2014
- [Society] Harp to celebrate 80th birthday - Apr. 10, 2014
- [Opinions] Teacher tenure: Ending due process fixes a non-existent problem - Apr. 10, 2014
- [Opinions] End exemption: IRS needs to enforce its tax codes as written - Apr. 10, 2014
- [Opinions] Ignorance is the GOP’s friend - Apr. 10, 2014
- [News] No more tolerance for junk property - Apr. 10, 2014
- [Sports] Birney, Tuttle, Banda are top medalists in state powerlifting - Apr. 3, 2014
- [Obituaries] Patricia A. Palen - Apr. 3, 2014
- [News] academia at the highest level - Apr. 3, 2014
- [News] SC Hospital revenue tops $22.3M - Apr. 3, 2014
- [Sports] O’Neil, Meyer are GWAC All-League - Apr. 3, 2014
- [Sports] Varsity thinclads to open season on Friday - Apr. 3, 2014
- [Society] Warren Paul Brooks, born March 13, 2014, at the Scott County Hospital, Scott City - Apr. 3, 2014
- [Society] Beck-Kuntzsch are engaged - Apr. 3, 2014
- [Society] Harp to celebrate 80th birthday - Apr. 3, 2014
- [Society] Card shower to honor Krehbiels on golden wedding anniversary - Apr. 3, 2014
- [Obituaries] Vera Mae Buckbee - Apr. 3, 2014
- [Obituaries] Evelyn M. Fields - Apr. 3, 2014
- [Obituaries] Alice ‘Tillie’ Shirley - Apr. 3, 2014
- [Obituaries] Charlotte Ann Ridder - Apr. 3, 2014
- [Opinions] Hypocrisy II: Principles are set aside when it comes to profit - Apr. 3, 2014
- [Opinions] Playing games: Legislature searching for ways to avoid ed funding - Apr. 3, 2014
- [Opinions] This is the biggest scandal yet - Apr. 3, 2014
- [Obituaries] Alice “Tillie” Shirley - Mar. 31, 2014
- [Sports] it’s all over - Mar. 27, 2014
- [Obituaries] Donnie R. Geist - Mar. 27, 2014
- [News] New development hoping to hit first-time home buyers - Mar. 27, 2014
- [Society] Couple to wed on July 26 - Mar. 27, 2014
- [Opinions] Religious freedom a 2-way street - Mar. 27, 2014
- [News] No free pass this time for Huelskamp - Mar. 27, 2014
- [Society] Lake Scott Friends projects is High Plains club program - Mar. 27, 2014
- [Society] Minnix-Davis are engaged - Mar. 27, 2014
- [Society] Skylar Grace Rufenacht, born Jan. 14, 2014, at St. Catherine Hospital, Garden City - Mar. 27, 2014
- [Obituaries] Lanny DeWayne Mehl - Mar. 27, 2014
- [Obituaries] Merlin M. Gardner - Mar. 27, 2014
- [Sports] play ball - Mar. 27, 2014
- [Sports] It appears the tourney committee got its wish - Mar. 27, 2014