Moving from Tribune to Scott City, Robert Mangold didn’t think that finding a home in a larger community would be a major undertaking.
He soon discovered otherwise.
What he considered “affordable” housing - either to rent or to purchase - was next to impossible to find.
Turning in two of her fastest times of the young season, Clare Hawkins was a double gold medalist at the Leoti swim meet on Saturday. Competing for the Scott City Stars, Hawkins (11-12 year division) posted a winning time of 1:23.28 in the 100m freestyle - slicing 22.08 seconds off her previous best. She...
Kevin and Barbara Reichenberger, Mt. Hope, and Clint and Lisa Pearson, Scott City, announce the engagement of their children, Rachel and Miles. Rachel Reichenberger is a graduate of Haven High School and Kansas State University with a degree in food science and industry. She is employed by Land O’...
Sandy Dunsworth, 69, died June 12, 2016, in Scott City. She was born Sept. 11, 1946, in Garden City, the daughter of Glenn “Bing” and June (Ellis) Burch. Sandy attended school in Selkirk and Greeley County High School. She spent her life caring for others as a nurse’s aide...
William (Bill) Bauers, 77, died June 13, 2016. He was born Oct. 23, 1939, in Fremont, Nebr., the son of William and Alice (Neff) Bauers. He lived in several southeast Nebraska towns before returning to Fremont in 1956. He graduated from Fremont High School in 1959. Following graduation he moved...
Patricia Lou (Hollingsworth) Rudolph, 85, died June 22, 2016, in Scott City. She was born Feb. 20, 1931, in Scott City, the daughter of Ralph and Eythel (Hopper) Hollingsworth. A lifetime resident of Scott City, she attended Scott City schools and graduated from Scott Community High School in 1949....
The Scott City Stars took advantage of familiar surroundings on Saturday to win 38 gold medals and finish second in the team standings at their home swim meet. Scott City finished a runner-up to Great Bend for the team title. Individually, Eric Shapland sliced his way through the water on his way to...
Mr. and Mrs. Hank Patton celebrated their 55th wedding anniversary on June 8. Hank Patton and Carol Brown were married on June 8, 1961, at the First Christian Church, Scott City. The couple has two daughters, Ronda Brewer and husband, Jim, Lakin and Andrea Gorman and husband, Todd, Meade. They also...
Kenneth Ronald Olson, 87, died March 10, 2016, in Kingman, Ariz. He was born Feb. 3, 1929 in Two Harbors, Minn., the son of Eric and Erma (Nelson) Olson. After serving in the U.S. Army during the Korean Conflict, he returned to Two Harbors and the DM&IR where he worked as a machinist. Work then...
Dora May Cooley, 87, died June 11, 2016, at the Edwards County Hospital, Kinsley. She was born Nov. 8, 1928, in Larned, the daughter of James Carl and Nellie (Taylor) Northern. A lifetime area resident, she was retired from the Larned State Hospital. She was a member of the United Methodist...
Sandra Ruth Moore, 60, died June 8, 2016, at Newman Regional Health, Emporia. She was born Nov. 12, 1955, in Emporia, the daughter of James M. and Clara R. (Lamb) Read. A lifelong resident of Emporia, Sandy was a member of the Sacred Heart Catholic Church and Sacred Heart Altar Society. Sandy married...
Much more room and a better view are the two big benefits that have resulted from the Scott Community Foundation and Scott County Extension relocating their offices to the former Compass Behavioral Health building on the southwest corner of the courthouse block. Compass has moved its offices to the...
When it comes to following the outcome of the Scott City Outlaws (14-years and older) one could just about wait until the final inning. The Outlaws won twice with final-inning rallies and lost another game in the final inning during round-robin action on the home field last weekend. In their final...
Everette Ray Redburn, 74, died June 4, 2016, at his home in Dighton. He was born Aug. 25, 1941, in Oregon County, Mo., the son of Lemuel L. and Goldie D. (Vonalman) Redburn. Everette grew up in Scott City and attended Scott City schools. After his schooling, he enlisted in the United States Marine...
Tough losses seemed to haunt Scott City’s Jack Thomas in both the 1600m and 3200m events this past season. That was to be expected. Even though Thomas had been an outstanding runner in junior high, the freshman was competing against athletes who were bigger and stronger this season. Through...
Edith L. Donecker 89, died May 28, 2016, at the Scott County Hospital, Scott City. She was born May 29, 1926, in Gove County, the daughter of Thom- as G. and Mary E. (Coe) Russell. Edith was a homemaker and a school cook for over 20 years. She was a member of the United Methodist Church of Healy...
Cynthia Ann Davis, 50, died May 26, 2016, at Via Christi Regional Medical Center-St. Francis Campus, Wichita. She was born Oct. 25, 1965, at Ponca City, Okla., the daughter of Larry and Joyce (Smith) Tedrow. Cynthia grew up in several different places in Oklahoma. She graduated from Liberal High School...
Curt and Jolene Dirks, Monument, and Wayne and Jeanne Wilson, Mingo, announce the engagement of their children, Shania Dirks and Connor Wilson. The bride-to-be is a 2014 graduate of Wheatland High School and a 2016 graduate of Colby Community College with an associate of arts degree. The prospective...
- [Youth] 2 SCHS youth win $1,500 in entrepreneur state finals - Jun. 23, 2016
- [Youth] Logan, Shapland are 4-H Foundation honorees - Jun. 23, 2016
- [Sports] Hawkins, Wren combine for 4 golds - Jun. 23, 2016
- [Society] Garden club debates tree giveaway - Jun. 23, 2016
- [Society] Couple plans Sept. 10 wedding - Jun. 23, 2016
- [Obituaries] Donald D. Dornon - Jun. 23, 2016
- [Obituaries] Sandy Dunsworth - Jun. 23, 2016
- [Obituaries] William ‘Bill’ Bauers - Jun. 23, 2016
- [Obituaries] Patricia Lou Rudolph - Jun. 23, 2016
- [Opinions] It’s all politics: Young people aren’t a priority for Rep. Huelskamp - Jun. 23, 2016
- [Opinions] Breaking point: Company’s departure is a wake-up call for Kansans - Jun. 23, 2016
- [Opinions] GOP does not put kids first - Jun. 23, 2016
- [News] $12.6M preliminary cost for USD 466 facilities upgrade - Jun. 23, 2016
- [Sports] Shapland claims four golds; Stars have 38 individual wins - Jun. 16, 2016
- [Society] Pattons observe 55th anniversary - Jun. 16, 2016
- [News] Compass could lose up to $900k - Jun. 16, 2016
- [Obituaries] Kenneth Ronald Olson - Jun. 16, 2016
- [Obituaries] Dora May Cooley - Jun. 16, 2016
- [Obituaries] William Bauers - Jun. 16, 2016
- [Obituaries] Margie R. Berry - Jun. 16, 2016
- [Obituaries] Sandra Ruth Moore - Jun. 16, 2016
- [Opinions] Terrorists: We are creating our own threats closer to home - Jun. 16, 2016
- [Opinions] Ripple effect: State budget cuts impact local services, taxpayers - Jun. 16, 2016
- [Opinions] The ritual we call town halls - Jun. 16, 2016
- [News] SCF, Extension relocate to former Compass building - Jun. 9, 2016
- [Youth] Honors and Awards - Jun. 9, 2016
- [Sports] Outlaws rally to gain split in round-robin - Jun. 9, 2016
- [Society] Reception Sunday to honor Hansen’s 50th anniversary - Jun. 9, 2016
- [Obituaries] Everette Ray Redburn - Jun. 9, 2016
- [Opinions] Moran’s constitutional flip-flop - Jun. 9, 2016
- [Society] Couple plans July 16 wedding - Jun. 3, 2016
- [Sports] Thomas holds on for 3200m state championship - Jun. 3, 2016
- [Obituaries] Edith L. Donecker - Jun. 3, 2016
- [Obituaries] Cynthia Ann Davis - Jun. 3, 2016
- [Obituaries] Laura Wilson - Jun. 3, 2016
- [Society] Dirks-Wilson to wed August 27 - Jun. 3, 2016
- [News] teaching numbers don’t add up - Jun. 3, 2016
- [Opinions] Shifting burden: Budget cuts come at a huge cost for taxpayers - Jun. 3, 2016
- [Opinions] GOP has sights on bigger prize - Jun. 2, 2016